Product Support - Installation with Spikes
FOR LOUVER AND RAISED PANEL SHUTTERS USING SPIKES
1. Lay shutter face up on a clean, soft, flat surface, preferably a piece of plywood, for drilling purposes.
2. Measure 2 inches down from the top and up from the bottom of the shutter and in the center of the rail. Drill a 5/16 inch diameter hole through the rail. In the rail, on each side of the center, drill a 5/16 inch diameter hole in line with the holes in the tops and bottoms and the middle of the center cross member. SEE FIGURE 1
3. Position the shutter on the house next to the window.
4. Using a punch or other suitable marker, mark the mounting hole locations on the building.
5. Remove the shutter and drill a 1/4 inch diameter hole through the siding or in the brick/masonry and into the wall at least 1¾ inches deep at the marks.
6. For Vinyl and Aluminum siding, using a 5/16 inch diameter bit, drill a clearance hole through the siding only. Do not drill into the wall.
7. Place shutter back on the house. Put Shutter Spike in a hole. Using a hammer, gently tap the spike in. Repeat until all 6 Shutter Spikes are started. Then finish tapping them all in. BE CAREFUL NOT TO TAP THEM IN TOO FAR! They should only go down far enough for the underside of the Shutter Spike head to touch the shutter when the back edge of the shutter is touching the building. Be careful not to damage the Shutter Spike or the shutter.
8. Repeat this process for all remaining shutter panels.
THE SHUTTER MUST BE MOUNTED WITH 6 SPIKES, IN THE POSITIONS SPECIFIED IN THESE INSTRUCTIONS, IN ORDER FOR THE WARRANTY TO BE VALID!